The Great Faroe Islands Spring Equinox Total Eclipse Tour
Now there are two options for our Faroe Islands Eclipse tour!
The Faroe Islands have been awarded the highest rating for "Environmental quality, sociological and cultural integrity" by National Geographic. The fantastic landscape of small islands and green mountains are linked by modern undersea tunnels, bridges and ferries.
The eclipse of March 20, 2015 will cross these unspoiled islands where the cliffs along the fjords are filled with over 260 species of birds, with 40 remaining in the Faroe Islands year round. The old Faroe houses, as their Norwegian Viking ancestors once built, are typically black with turfed roofs insulating against the Nordic weather.
Prior to traveling to the Faroe Islands, the eclipse tour begins with three nights in the moss covered lava fields of Iceland, where you will also experience many of nature’s grandeur with the aurora borealis, geysers and some of the 15,000 waterfalls.
Our distinguished team of experts will offer astronomical lectures. No background in science will be necessary. We invite you to many great experiences in these small islands of the North Atlantic.
Your Tour Includes:
- Roundtrip air from Boston, New York, Seattle to Iceland and Faroe Islands
- First Class Accommodations or best available in the area
- Meals: Breakfasts daily, 4 lunches, 6 dinners
- Sightseeing as listed in itinerary with professional English speaking guides
- Iceland: Walk between two continental tectonic plates, see waterfalls, lava fields, fjords, geysers, hot springs, glaciers, hunt the aurora borealis, learn about the Eyjafjallajokull volcano and relax in the Blue Lagoon
- Faroe Islands: Experience nature’s grandeur, kayak in the Atlantic, hike the pristine trails, bird watch, cave swimming
- Dry suit provided in the Faroes for outdoor water sports
- Special astronomical lectures, eclipse glasses, and document packet
After a short drive, you will stop for breakfast and to the Blue Lagoon where you will enjoy a hot, mineral-rich water soak before proceeding to the hotel.
Weaving through the narrow alleys framed with old timber houses, you learn about the life of the city from its very beginning. Visit the harbor, Hallgrimskirkja-Church and a photo stop will be at the Hofthoi House, where the Reagan/Gorbachev summit meeting took place in 1986. Drive past the University and enjoy the panoramic view over Reykjavik, the fjord and mountains from the balcony at the Pearl. Dinner is on your own.
After lunch drive to the mighty Gullfoss, the Golden Waterfall, perhaps the most beautiful in the country. Walk around Gullfoss Falls, where the river Hvita tumbles 32 meters in a double cascade. Over a scenic route, the drive takes you to Thingvellir National Park, the country’s most sacred site and home of the old Viking parliament, Alpingi. Thingvellir is a geologically spectacular site, set on a vast plain flanked by large fissures.
You will pass through some of the prettiest countryside in Iceland with farms and villages and the volcano, Hekla, at a distance. There will be a stops at Seljalandsfoss, a graceful ribbon-like waterfall and the 197 feet waterfall at Skogafoss. Visit the folk museum of the Skogar. Old houses are preserved in their original state and there is a vast collection of household items from the surrounding area. Following dinner hunt for the aurora.
Tonight your Faroe guides will orient you to the grand landscape of these eighteen North Atlantic islands.
This afternoon continue with your choice of activities.
After an included lunch there is a free afternoon in Torshavn or continue with the islands activities. This evening enjoy a gourmet dinner at one of Torshavn’s fine restaurants.
The Faroe Islands Cultural Evening includes dinner with singing, story telling and learning the age-old Chain Dance, which has been preserved since the Middle Ages, passing down through generations.
Your Tour Includes:
- Two nights centrally located, 4 star accomodations - Edinburgh
- Full day tour of Scottish Highlands
- Roundtrip Transfer Edinburgh/Newcastle
- 6-nights on the MS Princess Seaways cruising fom Newcastle/Faroe
- Meals: All Breakfasts, 1 lunch, 8 buffet dinners
- Shore excursions available on board
- Transfer to the eclipse viewing site
- Astronomical lectures on board the Princess Seaways
Countinue on to Fort William and Inverness before returning to Edinburgh.
After dinner enjoy the live entertainment on board.